Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child


Because of my background I read the bible numerous times. I am not religious. I believe we need to treat everyone with respect, love, and kindness. But, as I say I am a work in progress and I always try my best to practice what I preach, always. Society believes that God has commanded parents to spank and they take “spare the rod and spoil the child” literally, but in doing so they misunderstand the concept of the rod. The Bible simply does not support spanking or abuse of any type and that includes verbal abuse. It supports holding children accountable. It supports “train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” (Proverbs 22:6) “Training” does not mean spanking, abuse, verbal abuse, hitting, or any other form of corporal punishment.
Many parents misunderstand the concept of the rod. The Hebrew word for “rod” (shebet) The word “shebet” is most frequently used when referring to shepherds who are tending their flocks. The Shepherds used the stick to fight off prey and to gently guide wandering sheep, not to beat them. Be inspired by the word that calls for grace, gentleness, forgiveness, and love in all that you do and stop using the Bible as an excuse to spank or abuse our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.